Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How does my JR BTC knob work?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GSRcaucAZN78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2001
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have the JR BTC unit. To my understanding the unit retards timing 1 BTDC per lb of boost, so at 6 psi my timing is at 10 BTDC at WOT. What is the boost/retard knob for? It goes from min retard to max retard. Does this mean that when turned all the way to the left it doesn't retard at all and when all the way to the right, it retards the full 6 BTDC? Can someone please explain.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The knob is to retard timing at specific interval....each click is about 0.10 degree retard per lb of boost.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Randomwalk is correct... so all the way LEFT would be NO retard at all, and all the way RIGHT would be retarding the timing 2 degrees for every pound of boost it senses. That is, if you are creating 6 psi of boost, your timing would be retarded by 12 degrees.

    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  4. #4
    Inactive Member GSRcaucAZN78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2001
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    WTF! why doesn't the manuel say anything about the knob? All it says is turn it to min until detonation is heard and then turn it back a couple of clicks. I can't hear detonation at WOT with a SC, 2.5" exhaust, loud intake, and high flow cat. Damn, I've already boosted about 10 times since the SC install with the knob at the 9 oclock position, and it's 95 degress here! FUCK! It's like Jackson racing WANTS us to blow to our shit! The instruction manuel should say what you all just told me. SHIT! I hate knowing my brand new 2001 GSR has already been fucked over some.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member GSRcaucAZN78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2001
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    so if I have it at the 12 o'clock position it'll retard to 10 BTDC on 6 psi of boost?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GSRcaucAZN78:
    WTF! why doesn't the manuel say anything about the knob? All it says is turn it to min until detonation is heard and then turn it back a couple of clicks. I can't hear detonation at WOT with a SC, 2.5" exhaust, loud intake, and high flow cat. Damn, I've already boosted about 10 times since the SC install with the knob at the 9 oclock position, and it's 95 degress here! FUCK! It's like Jackson racing WANTS us to blow to our shit! The instruction manuel should say what you all just told me. SHIT! I hate knowing my brand new 2001 GSR has already been fucked over some.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Relax dude... I can't hear any detonation either..I set my JR BTC at the 0 min mark and no detonation heard. I have stock exhaust on at the time...May be you don't have detonation otherwise you *will* hear it with the window up...it's a very distinct rattling noise at around 4-5K rpm.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member GSRcaucAZN78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2001
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I seriously doubt my car wasn't detonating with this 95+ degree wheather. Sometimes I was even boosting with the ac on! Just cause you can't hear detonation doesn't mean it's not happening.

    On another note... I'm going to the track this Friday if the wheather permits. With 104 octane gas, think it'd be safe to make a few passes with the BTC all the way to min? Even with this weather? I plan on using race gas friday.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have my BTC at 6 clicks from minimum. No detonation with 10psi boost, stock timing and 94 octane.

    That's about 9 o'clock on the knob. You probably did not hurt your engine.

    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC @10psi, All the Goodies!
    Best 1/4 ==&gt; 13.937 @ 101.41mph (at 6psi)
    My JRSC Install Site

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •